Skip to main content

Only Oswego

Teen Charged in Alleged Street Racing Crash that Killed Aurora Man

Dec 10, 2015 03:49PM ● By Shannon Antinori

A 16-year-old Aurora teen has been charged with reckless homicide and aggravated street racing in connection with a Dec. 4 crash that killed a 49-year-old Aurora man and seriously injured the man’s 15-year-old daughter.

Charles D. Siebel Jr. of Aurora and his daughter had to be extricated from their vehicle following the crash, police said. Siebel died of his injuries Dec. 7 at Rush-Copley Hospital in Aurora.

His daughter suffered serious but not life-threatening injuries and has since been released from Rush-Copley, according to police.

The 16-year-old was allegedly racing a 20-year-old Plainfield man when his 2011 Dodge Charger slammed into Siebel’s 2004 Toyota Highlander as it turned left onto Eola Road from the stop sign at Shenandoah Drive.

The name of the 16-year-old, who is being charged as a juvenile, is not being released due to his age, police said.

The 20-year-old was driving a 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix and was just south of the other two vehicles at the time of the crash, according to a statement released by police.

Both alleged drag racers were southbound on Eola “at extremely high rates of speed” when the teenager’s vehicle struck Siebel’s Toyota, police said.

The 20-year-old has not been charged. The crash remains under investigation by the Aurora Police Department investigations and traffic divisions, and additional charges are possible, police said.

The 16-year-old turned himself in to Aurora detectives on Wednesday and is currently being held at the River Valley Justice Center in Joliet.

According to an email sent to parents, Siebel is the husband of Wheatlands Elementary School second-grade teacher Julie Siebel. The couple’s two children are students at Oswego East High School.

Donations and cards for the Siebel family may be dropped off at New Song Community Church, 2858 W. Hafenrichter Road in Aurora, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesdays or Thursdays. A GoFundMe page has also been set up for the family.