Kendall 10 Expansion, Renovation Plan Includes Alcohol Sales
Nov 27, 2015 07:18PM
● By Steven Jack
The owners of the Kendall 10 movie theater in Oswego are planning an expansion and major renovation to the movieplex.
According to plans submitted to the village that will be up for a vote at the Tuesday, Dec. 1 Village Board meeting, Goodrich Quality Theaters will construct a 9,000-square-foot addition that will house an additional large-format screen. The project also calls for exterior and interior remodeling, including the addition of a bar.
Heath Thomas, regional manager for Goodrich, said the improvements are needed to stay competitive in the area.
"Within the last few years we have experienced a loss of business due to the opening of a cinema in Yorkville," Thomas wrote in memo to village officials. "We have seen a drop of at least 40 percent of our attendance forcing a remodel and addition of a large format screen to remain viable to our company."
Even though one new screen will be added, with renovations the number of total seats at the complex will go from 1,760 to 1,669. The addition will be constructed on the west side of the building and will mean the loss of parking spaces. Thomas said a lack of parking has never been an issue at the theaters since it first opened in 1987.
"I have been the regional manager overseeing this location for the last seven years. During that time we have had many occasions that we have been very busy and sold out auditoriums, but we have never lacked or needed additional parking. ... We have always had more than ample parking and never fully filled our parking lot."
Goodrich's renovation plans also call for the addition of a bar that would serve alcohol to movie-goers. For that plan to move forward, the Village Board would need to approve a new classification of liquor license that would allow for the sale of alcohol in movie theaters.
Stipulations to the license that trustees will vote on Tuesday include:
- No cans or bottles will be allowed
- Only one drink can be purchased at a time
- All mixed drinks must contain a non-alcoholic beverage
- No drinks shall be served in "shot" or "on the rocks form"
- Alcohol may not be served to patrons viewing G or PG movies before 8 p.m., nor shall alcohol be consumed in G or PG movies before 8 p.m.
- Alcohol may only be served to movie theater patrons
- Alcohol may only be removed from the bar area to the cinema, designated lounge areas and party/meeting rooms